Tuesday 1 November 2011

My Si scott and my interpretations






Si scott is a graphical artist who does a lot of extravagant typography. To the left is a example of this only it was created by me. Initially it looks complicated but it an easily be done by breaking it down into simple steps.

The first step in achieving this is to plan out with a pencil the size you want the letters to be and then the distance that you want the letters to be from each other. I find that the easiest way to do this is to draw the letters with single lines and then make them into blocks. As you can see. It is important to draw it lightly incase you make a mistake but also if you decide to draw over it the lines won't cut into each other. 

The next step is to chose a letter or more than one to fully embellish. The aim is to make the form of the letter with the swirls as you can see in my example i have done this with the letter "R". It is advisable not to do too many letters like this because it may be hard to read them in the end. The best thing to o if you can't think of a way to extend it is to take the shape of the letters and build on it.

You then want to embellish the insides of the letters that you haven't extended. take the shape of the letters and fill them with smooth curves or blocks. When this has been completed go over the lines with a fine liner and fill the parts you want to stand out.



This is a development on the example above. What I have done here is develop on the idea of the word that I chose. the word being freedom I chose to develop on what my idea of freedom is. I went for nature theme and decided to add a lot of varied colour. The process was exactly the same only the embellishments that I chose to use were related to the theme of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment