Tuesday 1 November 2011

Creating and developing my Final poster.

These where some of my initial ideas for a poster. At the top are a few of  my initial ideas.  The First is  a variation of a quotation from a Lil Wayne song, the quotation is " Black and white diamonds" referring to people as being like diamonds. So I put we in front of it and wrote in a large block like font where you only see the outline of the letters except for the "A".
The second was  an attempt at creating a piece that visually represented the word. In this instance the word was illusion and tho there for the piece the style is suppose to represent smoke and give a disappearing effect. The colour that I used is soft as it helps with the idea of a fading effect.

This piece is another experimentation of the idea of visually representing the word, in this case the word is manipulation where some of the words are held by strings and entangled to represent the idea of manipulation.





Bellow is a similar in aim to the previous two but is a form of an advert, again using lyrics from a song; "ur a Jerk" referring to a dance move performed with the legs, hence why only the legs are seen.
This was the first stage in the development where,
 I simply drew a circle and wrote the  quotation in it  as an initial plan
 of where the writing was going to fit.

In this stage of the development I drew the face 
a little more accurately and wrote the words in a way
that made them start to take the shape of the facial features,
which was the aim of this calligram.



This is my final poster design which is a calligram of the quote " the only real enemy to have ever existed is an internal one"- page 1, line 1 from a book called the road to suicide. I first herd this quote while watching a film called Revolver which stared Jason Statham and it was about a man who was a master conman who had just come out prison and was dying of a terminal illness and was out trying to get revenge and battle his mind and emotions. the face that is formed by the calligram is a picture of him form the film. There where many good quotes in the film another of them being "the only way to get better is to face a better opponent" form a book called the fundaments of chess.
My calligram was first inspired by the work of Oscar Wilson who does a lot of work using calligrams. While searching hough images o calligrams i found one of Jimi Hendrix and liked the way that the letters where used to form his afro. I adopted this idea and then mix it with the theme o the quote and the style of the film. I first traced the pictures outline and filled the shape with words form the quote in a kind of sixties mixed with graffiti. I scanned the picture in and then edited it with photoshop. When I finished cleaning it up with photoshop, I then re-opend it with illustrator, live traced it an then coloured it using the live paint bucket. when I finished the colouring the colouring stage, I again opened it in photoshop and used the smudge tool to make the top part look more like hair and the jacket to give the calligram more of a presence. In illustrator I wrote the quote so that the audience know what the original quote was and where it can be found.



I chose to use the colour purple because it is dark and quite severe and serious and this compliments the quote. For the background of the quote I used a skin tone colour showing that it is a face and I used red for the lips making the facial features more defined.

No comments:

Post a Comment