Friday 7 September 2012

Photography Photoshoot








To gather ideas for My my project I went around my college and the surrounding area with a class mate and we took pictures of things that could relate to our genre of music. Mine being jungle and his hip hop.



Because sound is how the message of the music is transferred, speakers are very important Especially in jungle music and the sound system culture that is associated with it. These sound systems are massive speakers linked to gether and allowing them to emit  deep bass and a rich sound. Especially as the fundamental part of the sound system culture is bass.

I took a picture of this long grass from outside my college because it looked like reeds that you would find in a Jungle and I could then associate this with the music. Initial ideas based on this would be some sort of image in the middle and then reeds or leaves emerging from the corner of the cover or an image popping out of them. Animals like a lion, or a gorilla.

We took pictures of decadant looking areas because they relate to the underground origins of our genres of music, the ideas of back streets hidden way from the view of ordinary people and away form the "mainstream". Here especially for me because of the dominant colour of green in the picture this relates "Jungle" as a genre and the geographical location.
Here we found a building, which looked like it may have been a tuck shop or possibly changing rooms for sporting events in the local park. The walls had graffiti marking on them and and the general area looks run down and neglected, Urban "underground". Graffiti could be a good form of typography to use for my cd cover and typography in general of my album cover.

In the local grave yard i found this bush, as leaves relate to the jungle, hence my genre o music, using them on my front cover would help the buyer/ potential buyer relate to the genre and the music that my cd over is for.

In the music room there is a recording studio and recording equipment and of course this relates to music and the idea of dj's and their setup in a recording studio. this could be good imagery to use on the inside of the cd packaging if the colours were converted to black and white and then if it was used a a repeating pattern. This would give a gritty underground feel to the piece.

This is another part to the studio which is used of the collage radio station allowing them to broad cast music e.t.c throughout the college.  Jungle music was broadcast through pirate radio stations in the begining as the sound was far from the mainstream and this aloud the artist to play their sound unchanged and influenced by larger  music corporations/broad casting companies to fit in with the standard social norm of radio music. I want to incorporate this idea of not fitting in with society and the need to rebel into my designs for the style imagery that I want to use. Of course they will have to relate but make people step back and wonder what I was thinking. The more outrageous the better!

This is just a closeup of the recording equipment in the radio broadcasting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment