Thursday 30 January 2014

Ink Experiments

As well as exploring concepts I have explored mediums in more depth one I chose in particular being ink. Looking at tattoo and Japanese I wanted to explore the potential of ink for myself.


As one concept I have been exploring is nature I decide to photograph how ink acts on its own by dropping it in water and capturing the iteration. It is interesting to see how fluids interact with each other especially if we are used to seeing liquids of the same type where we can't distinguish between the two.

For this picture I moved the camera in closer shone a light trough for better contrast to capture more details the ink as it transitions to equilibrium. 

Moved the camera back and dripped more ink in.

Took a vertical diagonal view and moved in closer where I captured more wisps and and areas of varying density where it was darker and lighter. 
This time I began with red ink, it looked like blood dripping into water, I waited for the ink to mix and then added black ink, it reminded be of oriental films and artwork in terms of the simplicity of the images the interaction formed, creating black clouds in the red sunset sky.

While photographing the experiment I notices the shadow cast on the table as a result of the light refracting through the glass, the glass and water acting as a prism, creating the increasing angular light strip but also as it was translucent the colour of the light was filtered by the ink. It also gave a ripple effect at the ink moved trough the water.

Inspired by Japanese style techniques I used a Japanese brush to paint some nature related pictures using the iconic swishing motions in ink. I like the contrast between the red and black and how it fills the space created by the solid black lines.  

I moved onto splashing and blowing the ink painting a rose and then making it look like the ink is running out or as if it was thrown at a window and the force caused the colour to leak out.

No comments:

Post a Comment