Tuesday 1 May 2012

Initial work and developments

These are some of the initial activities that I under took in order to give my self a broad range of ideas and to develop and get me started.



Firsts of all I got some images of previous Olympic logos (site). I got theses logos so that I could get ideas from existing logos and help with the developments of my own logo. they are from the Tokyo, Roman, Athens, Beijing and the Sydney Olympic games.
Above are some pictures of athletes competing (Javelin, Basketball, Swimming,  Bmx, Usain Bolt) .
One of the outcomes that I will create will be a poster and this will feature a picture in the middle of competing in their sport.



These are some initial developments of logos that I have done using the pictures of athletes competing as inspiration. I have explored a few techniques and designs that i should consider when creating my final logo.

The first is for the Javelin event. The design was modeled on one of the icons that are used to represent the events. I drew the image and then I wrote the name of the event next to it with the Olympic logo underneath. I like this because it is simple and doesn't distract from the purpose however it is quite plain. 

The second is for the basketball event. For this I drew a simplified image of the picture I found above. I used the Olympic colours and then drew rings around the hoop making it look like the official logo. However I think that this is a bit complicated and over the top. It should be more simple.  

For the swimming event logo I have drawn the image of the swimmer in the pictures that I gathered. For this I decided to change the image so that the swimmer looks like the union flag with a human form.  I thought that this would be a good idea as the 2012 Olympics are being held in London which is in the U.K.  In creating this logo I have noticed that using fewer colours and keeping it simple make the image bolder and easier to remember.

Next I tried to develop a logo which could invoke the touch senescence. To do this I raised certain parts of the logo by using black paper and sticking it over prominent features like the tires and the helmet. This also adds depth to the image. As the subject is in mid air, the black as well as the raised surface make it almost appear to pop out. I also used a simple graffiti type text to write the  name of the of the event to give an urban feel.

The last image is for the 100 meter sprint. The colours of the Olympic logo flare out behind the runner to represent speed and they are joined to the logo as if the spirit of the Olympics is infused into the competitor. I used the name off the event and the location that it will be held to form the finish line of the event. Of all of the logos this is my favorite because it it embodies the essence of the what it is to be an Olympic competitor.


This sketch was a still life
done of  a sports equipment arrangement.


This is a picture of the  sporting equipment that I drew.


This is a sketch of a cricket helmet.
This is the helmet that I drew.


For this picture I did one sketched and one continuous line drawing of cycling shoes.

This is a picture of the bike shoes that i drew except the composition is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment