Thursday 3 May 2012

Experimentation with rubbings and Lino printing.


These are some experimentation I have done using rubbing techniques and Lino printing.






The rubbing on the left was done using green oil pastel, i found at because the colour was light that when the pastel went over the edges of the template that I used it left segments of dark green making the image appear better. the one on the right was done using a 6H pencil. This was the best rubbing that I did because it is the clearest of all the rubbings.
On the left I tried using red oil pastel to see if the image would be as clear as when I used green, but the image is extremely hard to see. on the right is the template that i used to do the rubbings.



Here I have done some Lino prints. This was the first time that I have ever  done Lino printing and I found it quite challenging to cut out the image and to find an effective technique when digging it out. I chose to do a silhouette style image by digging out the image so that it would stay white when printed. To give the image a bit of depth I only cut out the outline of the arm and leg in the background so that when the image printed it would have colour on the inside and make them appear further away. If I was ever to do this agin in the future I would improve it by using a lighter piece of Lino so that I could see the image that I drew onto it better or use a white pencil to mark the picture onto the Lino.  I would take more caution when digging out the image and experiment with mixture of colours. I could also try overlapping the images to make them appear to be in a kind of 3D order, as if going into the page. I would also try adding more detail to the initial  design.


The characteristics of Lino and printing.

Smooth, durable, bendy, tough, flat, hard, thin, reinforced, you can cut it, carve it and make 2D prints with it.

Advantages of Lino Printing.

  • Carve it
  • Print it
  • Emboss
  • Rubbings
  • Reduction printing
  • Tough/ Sturdy
  • Print onto different surfaces
  • Easy to cut

Disadvantages of Lino Printing.

  • mistakes are irreversible
  • not 3D
  • you have to work hard to get texture
  • hard to cut
  • limited colour
  • application rollers
  • hard to clean, hard to get of hands
  • barrier cream for hands
  • white spirit- fumes (health and safety issues)
  • long time to dry
  • time consuming

No comments:

Post a Comment